SCM

Forum: support

Monitor Forum | Start New Thread Start New Thread
RE: Answer type "numeric" in Cloze question for Moodle [ Reply ]
By: Achim Zeileis on 2023-09-12 00:50
[forum:49755]
OK, good, thanks for checking! This confirms my expectations.

You could try to report the behavior to the Moodle community. Maybe someone there would be interested/willing to improve it.

Best wishes!

emRE: Answer type "numeric" in Cloze question for Moodle [ Reply ]
By: Stefan Palan on 2023-09-11 08:54
[forum:49754]
Hi Achim,

I guess then it is not possible. We just noted that, when we create a numeric question in Moodle, Moodle gives an error message when one enters a nun-numeric value ("You must enter a valid number.").

When one enters a non-numeric value in a numeric field in the Cloze question, the error message is different and not extremely helpful ("Please answer all parts of the question."). I have now replicated this behavior by creating a Cloze-type question directly in Moodle, so I guess this is a Moodle limitation. Sorry for not checking that earlier and thank you for looking into this!

Best,
Stefan.

emRE: Answer type "numeric" in Cloze question for Moodle [ Reply ]
By: Achim Zeileis on 2023-09-08 20:23
[forum:49753]

sum.zip (2) downloads
Stefan, I cannot replicate this. Both for num-exercises and cloze-exercises with num-fields, produced by R/exams, it is possible to enter non-numeric values like letters etc.

I've briefly looked at the XML code produced by exams2moodle() and the Moodle documentation https://docs.moodle.org/400/en/Embedded_Answers_(Cloze)_question_type and I couldn't find anything that we would have to code differently.

Attached are two minimal numeric exercises and the XML output from exams2moodle(). Do you know if I can set any option in the XML to produce the behavior you want?

Answer type "numeric" in Cloze question for Moodle [ Reply ]
By: Stefan Palan on 2023-09-08 08:58
[forum:49752]
Dear all,

I am creating Cloze questions for Moodle and have set some answer types to be numeric using:

%% \exclozetype{num|num|num|num|schoice}

Normally in quizzes, Moodle does not allow non-numeric entries into numeric answer fields. But for the fields created using R exams, this validation does not seem to happen, such that students can enter all types of characters into the numeric answer fields. Is there a way for R exams to pass the field type on to Moodle such that Moodle only allows numeric entries? I am on exams version 2.4.1 and Moodle version 4.0.2.

Best,
Stefan.

Thanks to:
Vienna University of Economics and Business Powered By FusionForge