SCM

Forum: support

Monitor Forum | Start New Thread Start New Thread
RE: Possible to generate exams with different subsets of exercise pool? [ Reply ]
By: Achim Zeileis on 2023-07-07 06:56
[forum:49711]
You're very welcome, Emma!

And you are right: There is always a trade-off between the complexity of encompassing different tasks in the same exercise vs. the redundance of formulating separate exercises similarly.

I will have another look at the $ issue nevertheless :-)

Best wishes, Achim

RE: Possible to generate exams with different subsets of exercise pool? [ Reply ]
By: Emma Finlay on 2023-07-07 06:39
[forum:49710]
That is absolutely brilliant, thank you again.

I'm the same person who was asking about being able to print code without the $ changing formatting, this would remove the need to do that, I can just create an exam asking one of several T test questions, each can have the code written out directly in solutions.

By: Achim Zeileis on 2023-07-06 15:56
[forum:49709]
Yes, you can do:

exm <- list(
c("A.Rmd", "B.Rmd", "C.Rmd", "D.Rmd"),
c("X.Rmd", "Y.Rmd", Z.Rmd")
)
exams2html(exm, nsamp = c(2, 1), ...

By: Emma Finlay on 2023-07-06 13:18
[forum:49707]
That is exactly what I wanted, thank you very much - to be able to generate different versions without having to specify the particular combinations I want in each.

Is it possible to extend it even further to generate samples from subsets? So if I have exercises A, B,C, D on one topic and X, Y,Z on a second topic and I use this method to choose three exercises to put in each file I could end up with all three on the same topic. Is there a way to say choose 2 of A:D and 1 of X:Z ?

Thanks again

By: Achim Zeileis on 2023-07-06 12:21
[forum:49706]
If you just want a random subset, then you can use a list of exercises vector(s) rather than a plain vector - along with the argument nsamp. For example:

exams2html(
list(c("Generatecsv.Rmd", "lm3.Rmd", "Ques1.Rmd", "Ques2.Rmd")),
nsamp = 2, n = 3, ...)

will generate 3 different versions where each version contains two of the four exercises.

If you want to generate three specific combinations then you can specify a matrix of exercises:

exams2html(rbind(
c("Ques1.Rmd", "Ques2.Rmd"),
c("Generatecsv.Rmd", "lm3.Rmd"),
c("lm3.Rmd", "Ques2.Rmd")), ...)

The list+nsamp specification is supported by all exams2xyz() interfaces. The matrix specification by many interfaces but not all. If it doesn't work for what you need, feel free to follow up here.

Possible to generate exams with different subsets of exercise pool? [ Reply ]
By: Emma Finlay on 2023-07-05 09:28
[forum:49702]
When I generate html files for continuous assessment assignments using
list_test<-c("Generatecsv.Rmd", "lm3.Rmd", "Ques1.Rmd", "Ques2.Rmd")

exams2html(list_test, n = 3, solution = TRUE, template = "test_assignment1 file.html")
that will make 3 different files, each of which has the same four questions, in the same order (Generatecsv - lm3 - Ques1 - Ques2) the files only differ in the randomised parameters within the questions.

Is it possible to generate html files so each will have a different subset of the listed exercises? So for example if I tell it to make 3 files, each of which contains two exercises the three combinations might be Ques1-Ques2, Generatecsv-lm3, lm3-Ques2?

Thank you for your help

Thanks to:
Vienna University of Economics and Business Powered By FusionForge